Spending Hints, Tips and Rules
- Accounting and Procurement forms are available at NIU Financial Management System Forms page.
- Your grant associate must sign all grant paperwork, so you cannot submit the forms electronically.
- Travel vouchers go first to your grant associate.
- Check requests are used for most reimbursements under $1,000, and conference fees, memberships and subscriptions under $5,000.
- Purchase requisition forms are used for ordering materials, equipment, books etc.
- All capital equipment must be ordered through Procurement Services using a purchase requisition form.
- See PO-AP Forms Matrix (PDF) for a complete accounting forms guideline. This guideline should help you decide which form to use for what type of expenditure or reimbursement.
- If you are planning any foreign travel, please check in with us first! Each agency has different rules about prior approval, carriers, budget flexibility etc.
- The Accounts Payable Services will not accept hand-written check requests or purchase requisition forms - please complete these online, if possible.
Please contact us if you have any questions! We are all on Outlook and have voicemail. The name, phone number, and office number of the grant associate working with you is listed on your grant paperwork, and our general office number is 753-1576.
- Award Changes
- Progress and Final Reporting
- Spending Between Budget Periods
- Accessing your Budget
- Tips for Justifying a No-Cost Extension
Contact UsSponsored Programs Administration
203 Lowden Hall
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115-2828