Exam accommodation information
Exam Accommodation Form
- The student will bring the Exam Accommodation Form so you can complete the instructor portion. Please note – this is a two-sided form; any other versions will NOT be accepted.
- Note any special instructions (i.e., open book, notes allowed, calculator allowed, etc.) that the DRC staff should know about or that you have announced to the class. If nothing is indicated in the special instructions area, the student will not be allowed to use any additional materials, even if you verbally told the class they can.
- Return the completed form to the student. The student is responsible for returning the completed form in person to the DRC a minimum of two working days prior to the exam date. Do not return the form for the student. Do not send Exam Accommodation Forms through campus mail.
- Exams are scheduled upon receipt of the completed form from the student.
- When feasible, students are expected to take exams in a time frame that overlaps that of the class. Exceptions will be made only with instructor permission when the student’s class schedule does not allow for exam completion with all accommodations. Instructor permission must be provided either on the Exam Accommodation form or via email to email@example.com.
- Testing hours at the DRC are 8 a.m -5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. on Friday. Exams must be completed by the end of the posted operational hours. Students must communicate with their professors to identify an alternate day and/or time to complete the exam if it falls outside of posted operational hours. Then, the Exam Accommodation Form is completed/updated to reflect the time and date and submitted to the DRC. Alternatives include the student taking the exam at a different time or on a different day or the instructor administering the exam with all accommodations.
- Due to extended time accommodations, students often begin exams before the regular class time. Students will be allowed to leave the DRC once the exam is completed unless directed otherwise on the Exam Accommodation Form.
Exam Pick-up or Delivery
Exams must be provided to the DRC at least two working days before the exam. Exams received with less than two days may be returned to the instructor to administer with all appropriate accommodations, or the student will be allowed to reschedule the exam.
Exams can be faxed to 815-753-9570 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing exams, Word documents are preferred for adaptation purposes.
DRC staff will pick up exams from department offices on Monday/Wednesday/Friday between 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. and 1:00-3:00 p.m. If you choose to have the DRC pick up exams, indicate the day and time your exam will be available on the Exam Accommodation form.
The DRC does not provide “on demand” pick-up and delivery of exams, so please plan accordingly.
Completed Exam Return
DRC staff will return completed exams to department offices on Tuesday/Thursday from 9 a.m.-11 a.m. and 1 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Exams are delivered to the department office when someone is available to sign for the delivery. No exams are delivered by "sliding under a door." Exams that cannot be signed for will return to the DRC until the next delivery.
Instructors can pick up the exam in person at the DRC. If you choose this option, mark it on the Exam Accommodation form. If you plan to pick up the exam less than 48 hours post-exam, please call to be sure it is ready.
Instructors may choose to have the exam returned to them via campus mail. Please note: if you authorize the DRC to return an exam via campus mail, the DRC is relieved of any responsibility for the exam once it enters the campus mail system.
Campus mail is not an option for final exams.
- large print
- braille version
- low distraction room
- extended time
- use of a computer