Mental Health Resources


Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the cost of services? Most services at CCS are free to students, provided they are enrolled in the current semester (or the fall semester during summers). Some services are provided for a fee, such as substance use assessment referrals. There is also a $25 charge for missed appointments.
  • Who is on the CCS staff? Meet our staff
  • What kind of services do you offer? We provide services in two main areas: individual and group counseling. CCS also offers mental health crisis services and consultation to students and the NIU community. Learn more about our Counseling Services.
  • What is counseling? Counseling means sitting down with an individual or group and talking about issues you are facing in order to receive some resolution or satisfaction of these issues.
  • Does this mean I'm crazy? The act of going to counseling does not make you “crazy.” In fact, it takes a brave person to make the decision to make changes in life. Additionally, it takes a lot of courage to sit down and talk to a stranger for the first time about making these changes. Many students we see are nervous at their first visit, but by the end of counseling, these students often feel much better about their daily lives.
  • Can I come as many times as I want? CCS operates under a time-limited model of individual counseling, since we know that many problems can be resolved within this format. You may attend a group, if appropriate, for as many semesters as you and the group leader think will be helpful.
  • Does anyone else have to know about me coming to counseling? Counseling is confidential in nature, meaning we don’t talk to anyone about your status as our client without your written permission. However, therapists have a legal obligation for the safety of their clients. If a client is a danger to himself/herself or others, then it is the therapist’s legal responsibility to prevent harm; in these cases, others may be informed to prevent harm. Therapists are also obligated to report cases of child abuse as well as elder abuse. In these cases, reports are made to the proper state agency.
  • How do I go about setting up an appointment to see a counselor? Attend a walk-in consultation appointment. You do not need to call before you come; just come to Campus Life Building 200. You will complete paperwork and then meet with a counselor for approximately 40 minutes. The counselor will listen to your concerns and assess your needs. If it is decided that you will attend ongoing counseling at CCS, you will be scheduled to meet with a counselor who may or may not be the person you meet with for your walk-in appointment.
  • Do I need to take psychiatric medication? If so, does CCS prescribe medication? Students sometimes supplement counseling with medication. Psychiatric services are housed in the Health Services building and you can call 815-753-1311 to schedule an appointment. If you are uncertain about whether an appointment with a psychiatrist would be useful to you, your CCS counselor can talk with you about your questions and concerns.
  • I am not a student at NIU. Am I allowed to use your services? Unfortunately, we do not have the resources available to provide services to non-NIU students. Only students who are currently enrolled at NIU are eligible for CCS services.