Undergraduate students who are declared majors in the department can organize a Communication Undergraduate Student Advisory Council (COMM-SAC). This council will supervise the election of undergraduate students who will serve as representatives at the department's faculty meetings and on other departmental committees.
NIU Forensics is a student organization devoted to a wide range of competitive and noncompetitive speech activities. Formed in 1928, NIU Forensics has a rich history of providing students hands-on training in argumentation, advocacy, public speaking and performance.
The Northern Star is the student-produced independent media at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. The Northern Star covers NIU campus news, DeKalb city and county news, NIU Huskie sports and northern Illinois entertainment.
The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is the foremost organization for students interested in public relations and communications.
- American Communication Association
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Association for Women in Communications
- Broadcast Education Association
- International Communication Association
- National Communication Association
- Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Public Relations Student Society of America
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
- University Film and Video Association
- Archives of American Public Address
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Journalism and Mass Communication Educator
- Midwestern Conference on Literature, Language & Media
Department of Communication
Northern Illinois University
Watson Hall 210
DeKalb, IL 60115
Acting Department Chair