Courses Recently Taught
- JOUR 200A, Basic News Writing
- JOUR 301, Article Writing
- JOUR 312, Graphics of Communication
- JOUR 335, Principles of Public Relations
- JOUR 360, Public Relations Writing
- JOUR 401, Editorial and Opinion Writing
- JOUR 410, News Editing
- JOUR 435, Advanced Public Relations
- JOUR 496, Journalism Honors Seminar
- UNIV 101, University Experience
Reporting and interviewing techniques, humor writing, and social media in public relations.
Mr. Akst is an award-winning journalist and public relations practitioner with more than 30 years of professional and academic experience. In 2016, Mr. Akst won the University’s Excellence in Undergraduate Instruction award, the top teaching award for Instructors at NIU.
In addition to his teaching responsibilities at NIU, Mr. Akst is Grievance Officer for the NIU Chapter of the University Professionals of Illinois. He also is Executive Secretary for the Northern Illinois Newspaper Association (NINA). He is a member of NINA, the Society of Professional Journalists, and the Public Relations Society of America.
He has a master’s degree in journalism from The University of Texas at Austin, and a bachelor’s degree in English from West Texas A&M University.
Department of Communication
Northern Illinois University
Watson Hall 210
DeKalb, IL 60115
Acting Department Chair