(Ph.D., DePaul University)
Speciality: Information and Communication Technology (ICT), New Media, Philosophy of Technology, Web Design and Programming.
Author of three books addressing ICT and ethics and new media theory:
- Hacking Cyberspace (Westview, 2001)
- Thinking Otherwise: Philosophy, Communication, Technology (Purdue Univ. Press, 2007)
- The Machine Question: Critical Perspectives on AI, Robots and Ethics (MIT Press, 2012)
- Heidegger and The Media (Polity Press, 2014)
Co-editor of Transgression 2.0: Media, Culture and the Politics of a Digital Age (Continuum, 2011)
Co-editor of the Indiana University Press series in Digital Game Studies.
Founding co-editor, managing editor and web programmer for the International Journal of Zizek Studies.
Award winning web programmer and interactive media designer.
Award winning researcher and author
Award winning educator: Presidential Teaching Professor (2009) and Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award (2006).
- "Communication and Artificial Intelligence: Opportunities and Challenges for the 21st Century." Communication +1 1(1), August 2012.
- "New Media: A Remix of Mark Amerika's remixthebook." Remixthebook.com 2011.
- "To Tell the Truth: The Internet and Emergent Epistemological Challenges in Social Research." The Handbook of Emergent Technologies in Social Research. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- "The Real Problem: Avatars, Metaphysics, and Online Social Interaction." New Media & Society 12(1), February 2010. 127-141.
- "Terra Nova 2.0—The New Worlds of MMORPGs." Critical Studies in Media Communication 26(2), June 2009. 104-127.
- "Beyond Mediation: Thinking the Computer Otherwise." Interactions: Studies in Communication and Culture 1(1), Summer 2009.
Department of Communication
Northern Illinois University
Watson Hall 210
DeKalb, IL 60115
Acting Department Chair