Andrea L. Guzman
(Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago)
Specialty: Human-Machine Communication, Automated Journalism, Intersection of Artificial Intelligence and Communication, Media Framing of Technology
Kopenhaver Center Fellow. (2017). Lillian Lodge Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communication.
- Guzman, A. L. (Ed.). (In Process). Human-Machine Communication: Rethinking communication, technology, & ourselves. In S. Jones (Series Ed.), Digital Formations Series. PeterLang. (Expected publication, 2018).
- Guzman, A. L. (In Press). Beyond extraordinary: Theorizing artificial intelligence and the self in daily life. In Z. Papacharissi (Ed.), A networked self: Human augmentics, artificial intelligence, sentience (Vol. 5). Routledge.
- Guzman, A.L. (2017). Making AI safe for humans: A conversation with Siri. In R.W. Gehl and M. Bakardjieva (Eds.), Socialbots: Digital media and the automation of sociality.
- Guzman, A.L. (2016). The messages of mute machines: Human-Machine Communication with industrial technologies. Communication +1. http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/vol5/iss1/4/
- Guzman, A. L. (2015). Evolution of news frames during the 2011 Egyptian Revolution: Critical discourse analysis of Fox News’s and CNN’s Framing of Protesters, Mubarak, & the Muslim Brotherhood. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 1-19, doi 10.1177/1077699015606677.
Department of Communication
Northern Illinois University
Watson Hall 210
DeKalb, IL 60115
Acting Department Chair