History of the College

Departments

Organized in 1959 from fourteen departments, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences originally contained Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, English, Foreign Languages, History, Journalism, Library Science, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Social Sciences, and Speech. 

In 1961, the Departments of Economics, Political Science, Sociology, and Anthropology replaced the Social Sciences Departments.  Numerous other changes and transitions occurred in subsequent years.

Since 2001 the Liberal Arts and Sciences College comprises the following departments:

Centers and Programs