Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
B.S. (1994), M.S. (1998), Ph.D. (2003) in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Optical Methods (moiré, interferometry, holography) for characterization of materials and structures. Laser materials processing (i.e. additive manufacturing, welding, heat treating, etc.)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (2007-present)
- Competency Area Manager, Laser Materials Processing Group, National Laser Centre, CSIR, South Africa (2011)
- Research Engineer, Alion Science & Technology, Chicago (2003-2007)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Materials & Mechanical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (1998-2003)
Professional Associations and Honors
- Flyde Electronics Prize: Best Paper in Strain Journal 2010
- A.F. Davis Silver Medal Award from AWS for the paper submitted to the Welding Journal entitled “Cladding in Marine Applications Using High Power Direct Diode Laser” 2009
- TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award (MPMD) 2007
- R&D 100 in Electronics for Power Measurement Calorimetric System 2005 (team award)
- R&D 100 in Process Technology for Automated Laser Cladding 2004 (team award)
- Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM), President of Optical Division in SEM 2003-2004
- Christine Mirzayan Science & Technology Policy Internship Program of the National Academies Summer 2003
- Sciammarella C.A., Sciammarella F.M. , “Experimental Mechanics of Solids,” Wiley Publishing, April 2012
- Sciammarella C.A., Lamberti L., Sciammarella F.M., “Holography at the Nano Level with visible wavelengths,” Holography, Dr. E. Mihaylova (Ed.), ISBN: 980-953-307-769-2, Invited book chapter. InTech, 2012.
- Sciammarella F.M., Sciammarella C.A., Lamberti L., “Processing of a HRTEM Image Pattern to Analyze an Edge Dislocation” Experimental Analysis of Nano and Engineering Materials and Structures, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, Springer Netherlands, ISBN 978-1-4020-6238-4 (Print) 978-1-4020-6239-1 (Online), 2007
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Sciammarella F.M. “Moving Laser Research from the Lab to Industry,” Welding Journal, May, Vol. 91 Issue 5, pp. 50-53, 2012.
- Sciammarella, C.A., Lamberti, L., Boccaccio, A., Sciammarella, F.M. High precision contouring with moiré and related methods: A review. STRAIN, Vol. 47 (SUPPL. 2), pp. 43-64, 2011.
Sciammarella, F.M., Sarangi, S., “Failure Analysis of a Crimping Mechanism,” Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Volume 10, Number 6, Pages 525-530, 2010.
- Sciammarella, C.A., Lamberti, L., Sciammarella, F.M., Demelio, G.P., Dicuonzo, A., Boccaccio, A. “Application of plasmons to the determination of surface profile and contact strain distribution.” STRAIN, Vol. 46 (4), pp. 307-323, 2010. AWARDED AS BEST PAPER PUBLISHED IN STRAIN FOR THE YEAR 2010.
- Malin, V. and Sciammarella, F.M., "Cladding in Marine Applications Using High Power Direct Diode Laser," Welding Journal, Sept. Vol 87 Number 8 pp 36-47, 2008.
- Sciammarella C.A., Lamberti L. and Sciammarella F.M., " The Equivalent of Fourrier Holography at the Nanoscale," Experimental Mechanics, 2008.
- C A Sciammarella, L Lamberti, C Pappalettere, G Volpicella, and F M Sciammarella “Measurement of deflections experienced by electronic chips during soldering,” Journal of Strain Analysis, Vol 41, No. 8, 2006.
- Malin V., Sciammarella F.M., “Controlling Heat Input by Measuring Net Power,” Welding Journal, pp. 44-50, July 2006.
- Yelistratov A., Sciammarella F.M., “Laser Surfacing with Wire Feeding,” Welding Journal, December 2005.