Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy, Pennsylvania State University (1986)
- Master of Science, Michigan Technological University (1982)
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, Jadavpur University (1979)
- Tremor control for Essential Tremor and Parkinson's disease
- Measurement of Dynamic Modulus of Damping Materials
- Fatigue failure under Random Vibrations
- Accelerated Life Testing
- Vibration of Wind Turbines
- Damage Detection
- Active and Passive Vibration Control
- Electromagnetic Shock Absorbers
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (1986-present);
- Summer Faculty Research Participant, Argonne National Laboratory (1995-1998, 2000-2005)
- Development Consultants Pvt. Ltd. (1979-1980)
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of Monroe Seligman award from IEST (The Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology) for contributions to the institute related to vibration testing, ESTECH 2011 conference, Schaumburg, Illinois (2011)
- Keynote speaker at 5th International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering, June 2011, Surat, India
- Honored at the ceremony honoring teachers for contribution to education and significant influence in a student’s life, NIU (2007)
- Purna Chandra Laha Memorial Silver Medal for best all-around graduate of the year at the Bachelor of Engineering Examination, Jadavpur University (1979)
- M.N. Chakraborty Memorial Medal for securing the highest percentage of aggregate marks at the Intermediate Engineering Examination, Jadavpur University (1977)
- Placed in top 10 among all students in the state of West Bengal in Higher Secondary Examination. Also recipient of National Merit scholarship (1974)
- Gupta, A. and Foster, J. E., “Finite Elements”, Stipes Publications, Champaign, IL, ISBN 1-58874-429-9, 2005.
- Gupta, A., Yandamuri, S., and Kuo, S. M., “Active Vibration Control of a Structure by Implementing Filtered-X LMS Algorithm”, Noise Control Engineering Journal, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2006, pp 396-405
- Kuo, S. M., Gupta, A., and Mallu, S., “Development of Adaptive Algorithm for Active Sound Quality Control”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 299, No. 1-2, 2007, pp 12-21.
- Rudroju, S., Gupta A., and Yandamuri, S., “Operational Modal Analysis of Aluminum Beams”, Journal of Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 50, No. 1, 2007, pp. 74-85.
- Gupta, A. and Zhou, X., “Damage Quantification using Modal Parameters”, Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2007, pp. 1-5.
- Carvalho, J., Datta, B. N., Gupta, A., and Lagadapati, M., “A Direct Method for Matrix Updating with Incomplete Measured Data and Without Spurious Modes”, Journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 21, No.7, 2007, pp. 2715-2731.
- Gupta, A., Jendrzejczyk, J. A., Mulcahy, T. M., and Hull, J. R., “Design of Electromagnetic Shock Absorbers”, International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2006, pp. 277-284.
- Gupta, A., Yandamuri, S., and Kuo, S. M., “Digital Implementation of Active Vibration Control of a Structure”, Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2007, pp. 135-141.
- Chowdary, S. and Gupta, A., “Active Vibration Control of Essential Tremor”, 14th National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms, NIT Durgapur, India, December 2009, Paper#BSMC-3.
- Malogi, D., Gupta, A., and Kathawate, G. R., “Center Impedance Method for Damping Measurement”, Advances in Acoustics and Vibration, vol. 2009, doi:10.1155/2009/319538.
- Pothula, A. Gupta, A., and Kathawate. G.R., “Fatigue Failure in Random Vibration and Accelerated Testing”, Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 18, July 2012, pp. 1199-1206.
Recipient of research grants from Argonne National Laboratory, Senior Flexonics, Commonwealth Research Corporation, Motorola, Elgin Sweeper, Biomerix Corp, etc.