June 18, 2012
NIU Campus Child Care is beginning registration for the Fall 2012 semester. We are accepting applications from NIU students, faculty and staff for children ages 3 months - 5 years, and from the local community for children ages 3 - 5 years. The center hours are 7:15 a.m.- 5:45 p.m. You may complete the application online or print a copy and return it via mail, walk-in, or fax at (815)753-8502. If you fax a copy you must still return the original application form to us.
If you are interested in enrolling your child(ren), please fill out the enclosed application(s) and return by Thursday, June 28th. Applications will be accepted after this date but the sooner you return the application, the better your chances are of obtaining your desired schedule. Priority for enrollment is as follows: 1) currently enrolled families (including siblings); 2) NIU students; 3) NIU faculty and staff; 4) community members.
Please read the following policies carefully when submitting an application. These points will guide you through our enrollment procedures and options and will ensure the process goes as quickly and smoothly as possible.
1. Enrollment is secured on a first-come, first served basis (within the above mentioned priority groups) but also depends on space availability for a particular age group and the ability to match schedules.If space is available for your child(ren) in our program, a confirmation letter, along with an enrollment packet, will be sent to you within three weeks. Please do not call the office to inquire about your enrollment status prior to our notification because this can delay the enrollment process for everyone. You must return the signed contract by the designated due date to secure your child's space in the center. If we do not receive a signed contract, your enrollment is revoked. All other paperwork should be returned as soon as possible. Children may not attend until a complete medical (including up-to-date immunizations)is on file and approved by the administrative staff. Upon receipt of the signed contract, newly enrolled families will be billed a non-refundable $40 enrollment fee per child ($20 for the school-age classroom) to reserve a space. If we do not have space for your child, you will receive a letter indicating we are full and space is not available at this time. In this case you will need to re-apply for a future semester; we do not maintain a semester-to-semester waiting list.
2. Child care can be scheduled for half-days or full-days. The minimum enrollment consists of 2 half-days or 1 full day. The maximum enrollment is 5 full days (no more than 10 hours each day). Any enrollment option in between is acceptable (i.e. 2 half days & 2 full days; 4 half days; 3 full days; etc.)
3. The full-day option is 7:30-5:30, 1-5 days per week. Although a child does not have to be here for all of those hours, all children are expected to arrive by 10:00 a.m. unless advance permission is secured by the teacher or office.
4. Half-day options include: 7:30-noon; 8:00-12:30; 8:30-1:00; 9:00-1:30; 9:30-2:00; 10:00-2:30; 2:00-5:30.
5. Limited space is available for all ages from 7:15-7:30 and 5:30-5:45. Due to group size and ratio limitations, children in the Infant and toddler classrooms cannot schedule care at 7:15 or until 5:45 without permission from the office.
6. All Children (toddlers-preschool) who are in attendance during nap time are required to rest on a cot (infants sleep as needed throughout the day). Naptime for toddlers and twos is from 12:00-2:30 and 12:30-3:00 for preschool children. Children who do not fall asleep are allowed to get up at 1:30. It is disruptive to the classroom for toddlers and twos to be picked up between 12:00 and 1:30 so please keep this in mind when scheduling half-day care.
7. Allow plenty of time in your schedule to get to and from class/work. For example, if you are scheduling a half day and your class starts at 9:00, you need to schedule child care at 8:30. The same applies to pick up times. Late fees will be applied to anyone who exceeds their half-day or full day schedule by ANY amount of time. Late fees will apply to full-day schedules when the 10 hour time block is exceeded.
8. All schedule changes, whether it is an increase or decrease in time, require a 2-week notice. If an increase in time is needed (and approved) prior to the 2-week notice date, extra care rates will apply.
9. Everyone will be allowed one schedule change per semester. A fee of $5.00 will be applied for any permanent schedule change thereafter.
10. Those who enroll with a minimal schedule and wish to expand by adding more days the following semester may not be able to do so due to space restrictions. Priority will be given to those who originally enrolled full-time (5 full days per week).
11. Child care bills must be paid each month by the designated due date or child care will be terminated.
12. Anyone applying for a state subsidy will be billed the full cost of care until we receive confirmation that your application has been approved. Please submit the subsidy application ASAP to avoid having to pay the full rate for child care. This only applies to low-income (predominantly student) families. A minimum GPA o 2.0 is required (2.5 if not working 20 hour/wk).
13. When requesting a schedule, please indicate your preferred schedule but then make a note if you can be flexible with wither the day or times your child can attend (i.e., you are requesting Tues. & Wed. but Tues. & Thurs., or any two days is acceptable). This can increase your chance of getting in.
14. By completing this application you are requesting care for the upcoming semester only, and for days in which NIU classes are in session. Child care is also available between semesters for those needing year-round care. Only full-day child care is available during interims. A separate application must be completed for each interim period.
15. Enrollment is secured for the entire semester so you will be billed for the full 16 weeks, broken down into four equal payments (8 weeks in summer with two payments). If you enroll for only a portion of the semester, our withdrawal policy, as stated below, will apply.
If you start at the beginning of the semester and decide to withdraw before it is completely over, a two-week notice is required. You will no longer be considered "currently" enrolled so you will not have priority when enrolling for the upcoming semester. If enrollment is secured for the following semester, another enrollment fee, per child, will be applied.
If you don't need child care at the beginning of the semester but wish to enroll at some later point, you can either pay the regular weekly fee to reserve your space or you can inquire about an opening two weeks prior to your desired starting date.
16. Our program participates in the Child and Adult Care Food Program which means we are required to serve meals to ALL children throughout the day (morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack). We also provide infant formula and baby food. Parents are not permitted to bring in their own food based on personal preference. Specific policies are in place, however, for children with diagnosed medical conditions or religious restrictions. Please see the handbook (on our Web site) or talk with one of the administrative staff for more information.
17. Disposable diapers are provided for children in the infant and toddler classrooms. Because most children learn to use the toilet sometime between the ages of two to three years, parents are required to provide diapers once your child is in a 2/3-s classroom.
18. Child care rates increase each year and become effective the first day of fall semester. Rates for the upcoming year will be posted on the CCC Web site, and available at the front desk, by mid-May.
Please visit our Web Site (www.ccc.niu.edu) or call 815-753-0125 to obtain more detailed information about our program.
NIU Campus Child Care Fees