Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Group Fitness Class Spring Schedule - beginning January 16, 2018
|Monday||7:30-8:30 AM||Vinyasa Flow Yoga||A|
|4:00-4:30 PM||Butts & Gutts||A|
|5:00-5:45 PM||Pilates Reformer||B|
|6:00-6:45 PM||Boot Camp||A|
|7:00-7:30 PM||HIIT Series: Tabata||A|
|TUESDAY||12:10-12:50 PM||Strength & Stretch||B|
|4:00-4:30 PM||HIIT Series: Boxing Fusion||A|
|4:30-5:45 PM||Restorative Yoga||B|
|5:00-5:45 PM||POP Pilates||A|
|6:15-7:30 PM||Vinyasa Flow Yoga||B|
|6:00-6:25 PM||HIIT Series: Core||A|
|WEDNESDAY||12:15-12:45 PM||Abs, Glutes, Thighs (AGT)||B|
|4:00-4:50 PM||Barre Plus||B|
|6:00-6:45 PM||Boot Camp||A|
|12:10-12:50 PM||Strength & Stretch||B|
|5:00-5:30 PM||Cardio Kickboxing||B|
|4:30-5:45 PM||Restorative Yoga||A|
|5:30-6:00 PM||HIIT Series: Total Body||B|
|FRIDAY||7:30-8:30 AM||Mindful Yoga & Meditation||B|
|4:00-5:00 PM||Free Fitness Fridays**|
|Free Fitness Fridays|
|19-Jan||Yoga Basics Breakdown|
|2-Feb||HIIT: Total Body|
|16-Feb||Candlelight Restorative Yoga|
|2-Mar||HIIT: Total Body|
|9-Mar||No Class *Spring Break*|
|23-Mar||Yin Style Yoga|
|13-Apr||Sport Performance Yoga|
|20-Apr||Power Vinyasa Flow Yoga|
The HIIT series include high intensity exercises in a short time. Each class is 30-45 minutes long.
- HIIT Series: Boxing Fusion – Combines elements of non-contact kickboxing, resistance training, and plyometrics into a 30-minute High Intensity Boxing Circuit. This class can help increase your speed, agility, power, and endurance. It is a great workout both mentally and physically.
- HIIT Series: Core - This intense 30-minute workout focuses on the core and lower back to build midline stability and strength.
- HIIT Series: Tabata - Tabata is a form of interval training alternating with 20 seconds of maximum effort with 10 seconds of rest, each round lasting 4 minutes. You will burn fat, increase aerobic and anaerobic endurance, and improve your overall cardiovascular fitness performance.
- HIIT Series: Total Body - A high-energy, HIIT style workout that will target the lower body, upper body, and core through a variety of weighted and body weight exercises.
- Cardio Kickboxing - High energy, full-body workout combining martial arts and boxing moves with music. Be prepared to kick stress in the gut, knockout calories, and have some fun! This is a non-contact workout and gloves or prior experience are not required.
- Spin - High intensity cycling to build endurance. This class takes place under black lights!
- Zumba™ - An exciting fusion of Latin dance and fitness taught by certified Zumba™ instructors.
- AGT - Tone and strengthen with a focus on abdominals, glutes, and thighs. This quick class will improve core and lower body strength!
- Barre Plus- Hold, pulse, and stretch your muscles in this full body barre workout that focuses on strengthening and lengthening your body while focusing on posture and breath. Plus, we'll complete Pilates mat work in every class. This high intensity but low impact workout will strengthen your core, arms, and legs all in one workout!
- Boot Camp - full-body workout that is perfect for all levels of fitness! It challenges you to push towards new limits! Using body weight, dumbbells, and other equipment, you will tone your muscles, build cardiovascular endurance, and improve flexibility.
- Body Tone - 20 minutes of lower body, 20 minutes of upper body and 10 minutes of core work. This class will allow you to work at your own strength level using hand weights and body weight so that you can focus on quality over quantity, leaving the class feeling stronger and more reinvigorated than ever before!
- Butts & Guts – 30-minutes of strength and resistance training for a rock solid core and lower body.
- Strength & Stretch - Use different equipment and your own body weight each week to strength train. Class will conclude with full body stretching.
- Pilates Reformer - Reformers are Pilates machines that use springs and pulleys to provide variable resistance to assist and challenge the body. You’ll develop core strength by working from the inside out, helping you build strength, flexibility, endurance and improving your posture.
- POP Pilates Express - incredible fusion of ab-chiseling and total body defining moves choreographed to your favorite songs. This intense, mat-based workout challenges you to rhythmically flow from one exercise to the next, developing a rock solid core while leaving no muscle untouched. This format takes classical Pilates to the next level like you’ve never seen before.
- Pilates – A mat-based class intended to lengthen and strengthen the body with focus on the core. You will develop balance, posture, coordination, strength and flexibility.
- Restorative Yoga - A meditative practice focusing on breath work and relaxation. Movements through a variety of postures including standing balance, hip opening, and total back care will leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
- Vinyasa Flow Yoga - Through a series of postures linked together, this dynamic class is often called a flow that is meant to get your heart pumping and fat burning. Moving through warrior and sun salutations is a key component. Come prepared to work through some deep stretching and experience a short relaxation period at the end of class!
- Yoga – This class may vary from flow to restorative and balancing. Connect your mind and body with yoga poses, balance, conscious breathing, and relaxation.
- Yogalates - Our unique combination of Yoga and Pilates.
All Campus Recreation group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many hold nationally recognized group fitness certifications. Instructors have previous group fitness leadership experience prior to hiring, or have completed the Campus Recreation in-house Instructor Training Program before instructing.
HIIT Series: Core, Zumba
Spin, Mobility & Mindfulness
HIIT Series: Total Body
Boot Camp, Tabata
Butts & Guts, HIIT Series: Boxing Fusion
Zumba, Barre Plus, Pilates Reformers
Mary Beth Henning
Strength & Stretch, AGT
Mary Kate Welch
POP Pilates, Spin, Cardio Kickboxing
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our semester-long workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes is recommended, and you must have a Fit Pass.
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes (all formats and varieties) in a lecture/workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Campus Recreation. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Campus Recreation Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- 4 weeks lecture/practical sessions
- 4 weeks shadowing a current Group Fitness instructor
Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Attend an informational meeting to sign-up!
January 23, 2018 6:00 PM
January 24, 2018 4:00 PM
Can't attend one of the meetings above? Contact the Assistant Director for Fitness at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Space is limited! Advanced registration encouraged.
Fit Passes must be purchased in advance online prior to attending first class.
You must complete a PAR–Q Form before checking in for your first Fitness Class.
|One time Fit Pass (available only at the SRC kiosk)||$8 (kiosk only)|
|Unlimited Spring Semester Fit Pass (regular price)||$50|
|Fitness & Nutrition Bundle (includes Semester Fit Pass and Nutrition Coaching)||$69|
** If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
**If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within 3 business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Campus Recreation will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending first class.
Cancellation policy - Refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Campus Recreation staff. Refund prices will be determined on the number of classes attended.