Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
February 25, 2010
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
9:00 a.m. Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
Approx. 9:15 a.m. Executive Session – Altgeld Hall
Approx. 11:00 a.m. Reconvene Board of Trustees Meeting - Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF DECEMBER 3, 2009 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. Universities Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 67
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: College of Law Academic Excellence Fee; Off-Campus Fees for Courses Associated with Certificates; Undergraduate Regional Course Charges; Fiscal Year 2011 Athletic Sports Camp Housing and Meal Expenditure; Fiscal Year 2011 Copy Paper Contract Renewal – ITS Document Services and Materials Management; Fiscal Year 2011 Document Services Copier and Controller System Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 International Programs Division Expenditures; Fiscal Year 2011 Mass Transit Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 Materials Management Central Stores Commodities Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 Materials Management Central Stores Commodities Contract Renewal - Edward Don & Company; Fiscal Year 2011 Northern Star Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 Public Safety Security Services Contract Renewal; iscal Year 2011 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Contract Renewal; Information Technology Services Hardware and Software Maintenance and Software Upgrade Contract Renewal; ITS Telecommunications Services IP-Based Voice Trunking Services; NIU Outreach Multi-Year Grant Regional Health Information Extension Center; Northern Illinois Proton Treatment and Research Center Grant Amendment; Cole-Stevens Complex Capital Project Approval; Fiscal Year 2011 Student Fee Recommendation; Fiscal Year 2011 Room and Board Rate Recommendation; Recommendations for Faculty and Supportive Professional Staff Sabbatical Leaves for the 2010-2011 Academic Year; Appointment of Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies; Request for a New Degree Program; Request for Degree Authority at Regional Sites; Requests for New Minors; Requests for New Emphases and a Specialization; Request to Delete a Degree Program; Request to Delete a Specialization; and Oral English Proficiency Annual Report 2008‑2009. For review and Information: Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Annual Report on the Outcomes of Sabbatical Leaves; 96th General Assembly Report; Congressional Report; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 47
(Expected to include presentation of proposal for action: Amendment of Board of Trustees Regulations - Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Laws implementation. Possibly other matters for consideration only.
- NEXT MEETING DATE
- OTHER MATTERS
*The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board