Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
March 22, 2007
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
DeKalb , Illinois
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
NOTE : There will be no Executive Session. The meeting is expected to conclude by 10:30 a.m.
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF DECEMBER 7, 2006 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 54
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2008 Student Fee Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2008 Room and Board Rate Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2008 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2008 Mass Transit Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2008 Athletic Sports Camp Housing and Meal Expenditure; Fiscal Year 2008 International Programs Division; Fiscal Year 2008 Waste Management Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2008 Document Services Copier and Controller System Contract Renewal ; Fiscal Year 2008 Copy Paper-ITS Document Services and Materials Management; Transportation Services Motor Coaches; ITS Document Services Digital Press; Information Technology Services-Hardware and Software Maintenance and Software Upgrade; NIUTEL-Telecommunication Services System Upgrade; Far West Campus Roadway Extension-DeKalb Sanitary District Easement; Lorado Taft Campus Waste Water Treatment Plant-Capital Project Revision; Student Financial Aid Office Remodeling-Capital Project Budget Revision; Collective Bargaining Agreements; Intergovernmental Agreement-City of Chicago; Naming of Academic and Athletic Performance Center; Recommendations for Faculty and Supportive Professional Staff Sabbatical Leaves for the 2007-2008 Academic Year; Request for a New Minor; Request for Degree Authority at Regional Site; Request for New Emphases and Specializations; Requests to Delete Emphases; Northern Illinois Triangle Intergovernmental Agreement; and Resolution of Support for NIU Foundation Capital Campaign. Possibly other matters for discussion only.) For information: Fiscal Year 2007 Increment Summary Report; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; Bowl Game participation Expenses; Oral English Proficiency Annual Report 2005‑2006; Illinois General Assembly Substantive Report; Congressional Report; Bush Administration FY08 Budget; Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) No. 112; Grant and Contract Awards; and Report Regarding RIAA Issues. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S ITEMS
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Amendment to Bylaws of the Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University-Second Reading. Possibly other matters.)
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board