Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
December 9, 2004
Board of Trustees Conference Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - BOT Conference Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice, announcements, meeting agenda approval, minutes review and approval, Chair’s comments, timely requested public comments and reports of Board Committees and Liaisons, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in the 225 Altgeld Hall or similar location .)
Executive Session – 225 Altgeld Hall or similar location
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened – BOT Conference Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF JUNE 17, 2004 AND SEPTEMBER 23, 2004
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 43
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Collective Bargaining Agreements; Residence Hall Ethernet Conduit-Capital Project Approval; Lorado Taft Campus Wastewater Treatment Plant-Capital Project Approval; and Grant South Tutoring Center-Capital Project Approval. For information: Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; Semiannual Progress Report of Active Capital Projects with a Budget Over $100,000; Summary of Grant and Contract Awards; NIU Institute for Neutron Therapy; Fiscal Year 2004 External Support and Future Research Endeavors; and Convocation Center Review of Second Year Operations. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 30
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Executive Session Minutes Release; Proposed Board of Trustees Meeting Dates for 2005; Facility Renaming; Delegation of Contracting Authority for participation in Silicon Bowl and related matters. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- OTHER MATTERS
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office, Altgeld Hall 300, Altgeld Hall main entrance, and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board