Participating in a Blackboard Collaborate Session
Students and their teachers can engage and interact as if they were in a traditional classroom, with as good as, or even better, support. With Blackboard Collaborate™ you have the functionality you need for a student-centered learning environment, such as two-way audio, multi-point video, interactive whiteboard, application and desktop sharing, rich media, breakout rooms, and session recording. These tools are at your fingertips and easy to use.
Get started today with some informational Quick Guides or step-by-step Tutorials from Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center. Remember Blackboard Collaborate is also a great tool for hosting club meetings or creating a collaborative workspace for members of your community.
Tips on Participating in a Session
- Find a comfortable place with no distractions.
- Before your first session visit the Blackboard Collaborate Support Center and click on “For First Time Users: Getting Started”.
- Use the Audio Setup Wizard to ensure that the audio is working correctly prior to your session.
- Take the Online Orientation or refer to the Participant Guide for information on all the features prior to your first session. This information and more is available from the Blackboard Collaborate On Demand Center as well as links provided in the column to the right »
- Be sure to join the session 5 – 10 minutes prior to the start.
- Set your Connection Speed to the Internet.
- Use the Audio Setup Wizard to test your microphone and speakers.
- Participate in the session by responding to polls and providing feedback to the moderator.
- Raise your hand when you have a question or a comment.
- Use Chat to send text messages to other participants and the moderator during the session.
- Remember that running other applications on your computer can slow your connection to the session.
Participant User Interface
Participate from a Mobile Device (iPhone / iPad)
A free mobile app for iOS devices is available that allows you to participate in a session directly from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad! Students are able to fully interact during the session:
- Join live classes or meetings from iPhone or iPad
- Interact via text chat and two-way audio
- View whiteboard content and shared applications
- Use emoticons, hand raising, polls, breakout rooms
- Connect directly from Blackboard on your mobile device, like the NIU Mobile App or Blackboard Mobile Learn
Last updated: 3/13/2015
Is your computer ready? Check your system here before entering for the first time.
Any system updates are applied Saturday evening between 9:00PM and Sunday morning at 1:00AM. Blackboard Collaborate may briefly be unavailable during this time while the system is updated.
For 24/7 technical support, contact Blackboard Collaborate support using any of the following:
online support portal