1. I would like people to be able to see the main features of my course without actually enrolling. Can I do that?
Yes. The role of a Guest can be added by course faculty members to allow a user to have limited access to course materials. Guest users can only see the areas faculty members allow them to see, and certain secure content, such as the Grade Center, can never be accessed by such users. Click here for more information on guest users.
To enable Guest users, follow these steps:
1. In the Control Panel, click Customization
2. Next click Guest and Observer Access.
3. On the adjacent page, select Yes for the Allow Guest Access option
4. Click Submit.
Note: Please see Question 3 below for additional information regarding guest users.
2. I would like to provide a guest speaker who is not associated with NIU temporary access to my Blackboard class. What is the process for requesting such access?
To request Blackboard Affiliate IDs for your non-NIU guests, please follow these steps:
Click on the Computing Access Resources (CAR) link on the ITS Forms page:
From the dropdown for "Select Account Type for service requested", choose Faculty/Staff Account
Then select the option: Blackboard [Community Request, Content System, Course Quota, or Blackboard Affiliate Accounts [Guest Speakers, non-credit or unpaid adjunct (not hired) course instructors or to enroll non-NIU Community participants]
On the adjacent page, select the option: Affiliate Account [Blackboard access for Guest Speakers, Non-credit or unpaid adjunct (not hired) course Instructors, or to enroll non-NIU Community participants]
On the next page, select the option: Temporary / Affiliate Account
On the adjacent page, fill out the information for the guest. For Reason for Request, provide the specific reason it is needed as well as the Blackboard course section and term the guest user will be participating in. Fill in the rest of the form and submit it.
Note: No ID is required if the guest just needs access to Blackboard Collaborate (since a Guest link can be created).
3. Can I secure the parts of my course I do not want guests to view, as exams and copyrighted materials?
Yes. From the Control Panel, click Customization, and then click Tool Availability. On the adjacent page, you will find a listing of the various tools (or parts) associated with your course. To disallow guest users access to certain parts of your course, deselect the "Visible to Guests" option for those parts and then click Submit.
The above procedure will ensure that only registered users of your course have access to these restricted areas.
Last Updated: 10/30/2011