Email, Changing FAQ
Email addresses cannot be changed by the user in Blackboard. Student, faculty, and instructor email accounts default to the NIU campus account. Faculty and instructors may request a one-time change to their email, but the use of non-NIU email accounts is not recommended, as it may be marked as spam or not delivered at all. Students may not request email changes.
Faculty may petition the DoIT Service Desk to have their email address in Blackboard changed. PLEASE NOTE: non-NIU email addresses are not recommended for use within Blackboard, because intended recipients may not receive the email messages. Messages sent from non-NIU addresses through Blackboard may be flagged as spam, or blocked altogether. It is recommended that faculty and instructors keep their NIU-assigned email address within Blackboard, to avoid these problems, so students always receive class notifications.
Students must use their campus email but can set up their account to forward campus email to their preferred account.
Information for forwarding campus mail, as well as changing the name, or "alias," of your NIU email account, is available on the DoIT website.
Last Updated: 11/22/2016
- Tips for Starting the Semester with Blackboard
- Tips for Ending the Semester with Blackboard
- Timesaving Tips Using the Blackboard Grade Center
- Tips for Assessing Student Learning Using Blackboard
- Tips for Communicating Effectively Using Blackboard
- Tips for Preventing Online Cheating
- Copyright Basics for the Academic Classroom
- HTML Tags