Promotion and Tenure
All applications are due to the Office of the Provost on or before December 8, 2017.
Application ProcessSubmit one original cover sheet and application (single-sided and unstapled) to the Office of the Provost (see Bylaw 6.341). Each application should contain the following documents:
- A cover sheet must be on top of each application. Any relevant departmental or divisional correspondence should be attached on the bottom. Applications should be assembled and submitted in the following order:
Note: In the event of an early promotion/tenure and/or a disagreement the chair should write a letter explaining the circumstances and the letter should be placed in front of the cover sheet.
- Cover Sheet
- Part I (information to be supplied by the candidate)
- Part II (information to be supplied by the department chair in consultation with the personnel committee).
- The second form is the vote record sheet. This form must be submitted for each applicant in addition to the regular cover sheet but should not be attached to the application. Original signatures indicating a vote count from the department personnel committee and the college council are required. Note: This record is confidential and is only for the Office of the Provost. The information is not routinely shared with the UCPC. Please send these vote record sheets separately from the applications for tenure and promotion.
- A cover letter from the dean listing all recommendations, all denials, any early promotions/tenures and the dean’s comments should be included and placed separately on top of the set of applications. (Be sure to indicate if an application is considered early on the cover sheet and vote record sheet.)
- Denials must be accompanied by a letter stating the reasons for denial and providing assurances that the faculty member has been advised of his/her right to appeal. The college must provide documentation that all appropriate appeal procedures or review procedures have been followed.
- Refereed and juried works are to be so identified.
- All formal appeal materials are to have pages sequentially numbered and tenure applications under appeal should also include progress toward tenure letters.
Forms and Documents
- Cover Sheet and Application for Recommendation of Promotion and Tenure (PDF)
- Application, Part I and II, Without Cover Sheet (Word)
- Vote Record Sheet for Recommendation of Promotion and/or Tenure (PDF)
Additional Forms and Information