Peer Mentor Online Application
The Peer Mentor Program is one way a student intern can help establish a welcoming community for incoming freshmen and transfer students and assist with the transition to NIU! The Peer Mentor Intern will assist with the development and implementation of this important program. Responsibilities include assisting with: recruitment of mentors and protégés, matching mentors and protégés, preparations and presentation of training sessions, outreach with mentors and protégés, coordination of socials and events, and development of a program manual. Interns participate in staff meetings.
Includes evening hours and occasional weekend days.
Position Title: Peer Mentor
Location: Asian American Center
Supervisor: Director and Office Support Specialist
Employment Period: September 1, 2011 - May 15, 2012
Hours Required: Minimum of 10 hours per week; some nights and weekends
Academic Credit: Earning academic credit is an option; student will need to work this out with his/her advisor. Co-op Internship credit is also available through Career Services.
- Leadership: Assist in coordinating and implementing the Peer Mentor Program; Assist recruiting mentors; assist in recruiting protégés at Summer Orientation;
- Administration: Establish contacts for protégés and mentors; help prepare agenda and minutes for mentor/protégé meetings;
- Programming: Assist with mentor/protégé meetings, retreats and training. Assist with program evaluation. Host at least one program at the Asian American Center in collaboration with residence Hall CA’s, student organizations, or departments.
- Communication: The successful candidate needs to effectively communicate weekly updates and report activities of peer mentor program. Serve as a departmental liaison to at least one student organization.
- Team Work: Intern will be required to participate in weekly staff meetings, NIU Open Houses, and departmental activities when applicable, such as Asian American Welcome Night, Asian American Heritage Month, and Alumni Banquet.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Intern will be working with Asian American student leaders and expected to enhance cultural/diversity competencies to promote an inclusive environment for all regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, and non-traditional status (including veterans).
- Para-professional Development: Student will participate in Para-professional training; develop and submit an updated transition manual/work portfolio.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
Candidate must be an NIU student; ability to work evenings and weekends, when necessary; must demonstrate evidence of leadership and communication skills; sensitivity and ability to work with diverse populations; and the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships. It is preferred that the candidate has experience with student organizations, has knowledge of campus resources, and has related cultural experience.
Expectations: Minimum 10 hours per week. Most of the work will be committee work and project based. Working hours will include some evening work and occasional weekend. The intern’s own study schedule will be considered wherever possible.
Internship benefits: This is a great opportunity for a student to gain and apply leadership experience. This internship may also possibly qualify for independent study credit. The director/supervisor of the Asian American Center would also be willing to serve as a potential reference. In addition, this opportunity may enable students to develop a portfolio, listing the different reports produced for the Asian American Center.
Training and supervision: Training provided will include an overview of the office, its mission, core values, and function. Intern will be supervised by the GA and indirectly by the director. Additional training may need to be discussed as needed, particularly if it concerns training not currently provided by the department.
Logistics: Intern will share office space with other employees. If intern has own laptop this can be helpful.
Compensation: Minimum wage. Student may wish to receive Co-op Internship credit.