Feed Your Mind!
Join us for monthly STEM Cafés - fun, casual gatherings where adults can eat, drink, and chat with STEM professionals about the latest scientific research. These events are free and open to the public. Food and drinks are available for purchase from our host restaurant.
August 11, 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Bilss Creek Golf Course, 1 Golfview Lane, Sugar Grove, IL 60554
Join NIU STEM Outreach for a dazzling evening of stargazing and viewing of the annual Perseid meteor shower, which peaks in mid-August. These brilliant meteors radiate from the Perseus constellation and appear throughout the sky. Beginning at 7:30, experts will discuss the meter shower and hot astrophysics topics. After dark, guests will view the night sky using their own telescopes or those provided by NIU. This is sure to be a hole-in-one view!
- Food is available for purchase. A buffet with pizza, pasta, salad, and soft drinks will be available for $12 from the Open Range Southwest Grill (6:30-8:30)
- Jeremy Benson, NIU STEM Educator—The Sky Tonight: What’s Visible and What Causes a Meteor Shower?
- Gregory Alley, NIU Observatory Manager, Near Earth Objects (NEO’s)
- Shane Larson, Northwestern University Astrophysicist, Black Holes and Gravitational Waves
- Paul Stoddard, Associate Professor, Geology and Environmental Geosciences—The Exploration of Mars-Successes and Failures and a Look to the Future
In the Hopper (details to follow)
- The Ripple Effect - August 27, Lorado Taft Field Campus
- The Physics of Baseball - September 14, Two Brothers Roundhouse
- Sustainable Food Sourcing - TBD
- The Sharing Economy - TBD
Check out this video - What is a STEM Café?
For additional information, contact Judith Dymond at 815.753.4751 or email@example.com.
NIU's STEM Café is one of 51 Science Cafés in the United States. For more information about other Science Cafés throughout the world, go to http://www.sciencecafes.org/.