Contact: Sharon Mimms, NIU Board of Trustees
March 20, 2006
NIU Board of Trustees to meet Thursday, March 23
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
March 23, 2006
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice and meeting agenda approval, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in Room 225 Altgeld Hall.)
Approx. 9:15 a.m.
Executive Session – 225 Altgeld Hall
Approx. 10:00 a.m.
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened – Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF DECEMBER 1, 2005 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 50
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: FY2007 Student Fee Recommendations; FY2007 Room and Board Rate Recommendations; FY2007 Regional Delivery Fees; FY2007 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Contract Renewal; FY2007 Mass Transit Contract Renewal; FY2007 Athletic Sports Camp Housing and Meal Expenditure FY2007 International Programs Division Contracts Renewal; FY2007 Northern Star Contract Renewal; FY2007 Waste Management Contract Renewal; FY2007 Document Services Copier and Controller System Contract Renewal; FY2007 Copy Paper - ITS Document Services and Materials Management Open Orders Renewal; Campus Dormitories - Install Fire Sprinkler Systems - Capital Project Approval; College Avenue - Street Reconstruction - Capital Project Approval; Davis Hall - Construct Cleanroom and Organic Lab - Capital Project Approval; Housing for Students with Dependents - Capital Project Approval; Neptune West - Roof Replacement - Capital Project Approval; Swen Parson Hall - College of Law HVAC Upgrade - Capital Project Approval; Zulauf Hall - Elevator Replacement - Capital Project Approval; Business and Industry Services Training Contract Extension; Information Technology Services Computer Laboratory Equipment; College of Engineering and Engineering Technology Research and Development; Recommendations for Faculty and Supportive Professional Staff Sabbatical Leaves for the 2006-2007 Academic Year; Request for a New Minor; Transfer of Tenure Location; Appointment of the Dean of the College of Business; and Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center Acquisition Agreement. Possibly other matters for discussion only.) For information: Fiscal Year 2006 Increment Summary Report; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; Energy Infrastructure Improvements Performance Contract; Implementation of University Commercial Procurement Credit Card System; Oral English Proficiency Annual Report 2004-2005; Annual IBHE Report on Underrepresented Groups 2004-2005; Substantive Legislation; Fiscal Year 2007 Higher Education Budget Recommendations - Operations and Grants; 2006 Congressional Legislative Update/ Budget Reconciliation Update; NIU Institute for Neutron Therapy at FermiLab; Northern Illinois University’s Research Initiatives at DuPage National Technology Park at DuPage Airport; FY 2005 Compliance Audit Report; and Grant and Contract Awards . Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S ITEMS
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Executive Session Minutes Release. For information: Report on Underpreprared Student Programs. Possibly other matters.)
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.