The services of the Office of the Ombudsperson are available free of charge to all members of the NIU community equally: students, staff, faculty, administrators, alumni, parents, family members and others.
Conflict, Problem and Resolution Consultation
If any of the following statements apply to your situation, we invite you to consult with us.
- If you are uncertain about which university policy, procedure, or regulation applies to your situation
- If you feel that you have been unfairly or inequitably treated by a university employee or that any university policy, procedure, or regulation has been applied unfairly or erroneously, or is itself fundamentally unfair
- If you have a problem that requires someone to help negotiate a solution, or to help facilitate your communication with faculty, staff or others
- If you would like to find out who has the authority to make an exception to a rule or policy
- If you want to know the right person or office to whom to direct a formal complaint or grievance
Communication Facilitation Services
The ombudsperson can help to facilitate communications between individuals or groups in order to resolve conflicts.
When appropriate, the Office of the Ombudsperson will direct you to the individuals with the authority or specific expertise to address your concern.
Staff members are available for presentations to university departments and student groups to discuss available services of the office and on a wide variety of topics of interest to the university community.
The ombudsperson is available as a consultant in the development of policies and procedures. Such consultation can ensure consistency with other institutional practices and reduce future implementation problems.
Review of Documents
The Office of the Ombudsperson is available to confidentially review drafts of letters/documents for clarification and effectiveness.
Notary Public Services
Notary public services are available in the office free of charge.