Quick Navigation

Materials Management

Property Control is responsible for overseeing and keeping records of university owned equipment. They keep a running inventory and report changes to the State of Illinois, Property Control Division in Springfield. Responsibilities include:

  • Maintaining a complete listing of all items valued at $500 or more
  • Tagging all items valued at $500 or more
  • Tagging selected "high theft potential" items regardless of acquisition cost
  • Providing departmental tags (upon request) for items under a $500 value
  • Coordinating annual departmental equipment inventory verification
  • Authorizing Transfer of Equipment
  • Surplus equipment

Definition of Equipment

An Equipment item is a movable or fixed unit of furniture or furnishings, an instrument, a machine, an apparatus, or a set of articles which generally retains its original shape and appearance with use, has a normal useful life of more than two years, is non-consumable, costs $500 or more, and does not lose its identity through incorporation into a different or more complex unit or substance.

NIU Identification Tags

The Property Control Department tags furniture and equipment costing $500 or more with a white bar coded label showing a six-digit identification number and the words, "Property of, Northern Illinois University." The NIU tag numbers identify the items so they can be cross-referenced to the purchase order on which an item was acquired. Identification numbers are applied to furniture and equipment using either a label, an indelible marking pen, or both.

Items costing less than $500 are not normally tagged by the Property Control Department. An exception is made for items classified as "High Theft Potential" items. Such items are tagged regardless of acquisition cost. Examples of these types of items are antiques and firearms.

Inventory Reconciliation

The State Property Control Act includes a provision that each year a physical inventory is to be made for all items and a full accounting of errors or exceptions reported to the State. Therefore, the university prepares a complete listing of all equipment each year. The lists are sent to those individuals who are accountable for the equipment, and it is their responsibility to report to the Property Control Department any differences between the published list and the actual inventory. Discrepancies are to be reported on a Form 15, which can be downloaded, filled in and e-mailed back or printed and sent to Property Control.

Property Control assists departments in locating missing inventory or otherwise helps to resolve any other differences. A random sampling of capital assets is inventoried every year by employees of the Property Control department. Each department, however, conducts an annual inventory of all their assets (100%).

Inventory Verification After a Physical Move

Upon request, the Property Control Department will update a Department's Inventory following a physical move to another location. A list of assets will be sent to the responsible officer of that department. The responsible officer will identify those assets they wish to retain and those assets they wish to surplus. Those assets left in the old location will remain the Department's responsibility until Property Control has received proper notification that they have been transferred to another department or have been removed from that location by university movers for surplus.

Transfer of Equipment

The Property Control Department must be contacted first when a department wishes to have assigned equipment:

  • Transferred permanently to another department
  • Surplused and removed from inventory
  • Transferred from one inventory location to another
  • Transferred from the surplus equipment pool to their inventory location
  • In such instances, the Property Control Department will initiate the necessary Equipment Transfer Authorization, a copy of which will be supplied to the university's movers to allow the move to be scheduled. The requesting department will also receive a copy when the university movers complete the work.

Off-Campus Use of University Property

The private and/or personal use of university property is expressly prohibited; however, situations may arise where university responsibilities can justify the temporary use of portable equipment off-campus. The criteria for off-campus usage is more effective utilization of university resources and not the personal convenience of the employee.

Off-Campus Property Control Procedure

Gifts of Equipment

Departments receiving any gift of equipment must notify the NIU Foundation of the donation and provide that office with the following information:

  • College and Department
  • Date Gift was Received
  • Fair Value of the Gift Determined by Appraisal of Current Market Value
  • Description of Gift
  • From Whom the Gift was Received

The Foundation office will notify Property Control if the gift is to be tagged and registered as State property with the Department of Central Management Services - Property Control Division in Springfield. Once tagged the equipment becomes the property of the State of Illinois and Northern Illinois University, and cannot be disposed of without written authorization by the Property Control Department.

Personally Owned Property

University personnel who bring personal property to campus do so at their own risk. Personal property of any individual brought to university premises is the responsibility of the individual. The university can assume no liability for loss, theft, or damage. Such property should bear a note or tag showing that it is personal property and listing the owner's name. Employees desiring to protect their personal property from damage or loss should make their own arrangements for insurance.

Missing or Stolen Property

When equipment appears to be missing or stolen, a report must be filed immediately with the NIU Police Department, with a copy to the Property Control Department, indicating the NIU tag number, description of the missing item(s), and circumstances leading to the disappearance. If the item is later located, both the NIU Police Department and the Property Control Department must be notified.

High Theft Items Policy

(Effective: November 1, 2016)

JCAR Title 44, Section 5010.210.c “Marking of State-Owned Equipment” – Equipment with a value of $500 or more and equipment that is subject to theft with a value less than $500 must be marked with a unique identification number to be assigned by the agency holding the property. Each agency is responsible for adopting policies clearly delineating categories of equipment considered to be subject to theft.”

JCAR Title 44, Section 5010.220 “Inventory of Equipment” – states “all equipment with an acquisition value of $500 or more and equipment that is subject to theft with a value less than $500 must be reported to CMS by the holding agency.”

According to JCAR it is up to each agency to determine what items are considered high theft. Based on inventory reported missing through the annual inventory process the following items are considered high theft and must be tagged regardless off acquisition value. These items will be inventoried each inventory cycle to ensure that the items are accounted for.

  • Portable electronics – laptops, notebooks, netbooks, tablets
  • Computers (PC’s)
  • Projectors
  • Firearms
  • Antiques

Surplus Item(s) Request

Property Control retains usable office furniture and equipment for redistribution within the University. These items are available to be seen on Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons, or by appointment. You may also submit a request to Property Control for surplus items you are looking for. Please use the "Surplus Item Request" link on the left tab of this page to submit a request.

Missing Asset Internal Investigation Form

In an effort to improve controls on assets we will be requiring a “Missing Asset Internal Investigation Form” be completed for all items reported missing as code M-5 (missing) or M-8 (other) during the current inventory cycle. Completion of the Missing Asset Internal Investigation Form is not optional; it is required. A sample is provided under “Related Forms” to help you better understand how the form should be completed.

For questions regarding the above, please call Property Control at 753-1436.