Help us grow for the next 50
For the past 50 years, the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) at Northern Illinois University has focused on Southeast Asia through academic programs, faculty research, and outreach initiatives. As a result:
- NIU leads the country in the teaching of Southeast Asian languages, offering six of the seven major languages and pioneering online language teaching through SEAsite.
- Our teaching faculty associates are respected worldwide for their knowledge of the region’s history, economics, politics, arts, and cultures.
- Our students go on to successful careers in academia, government, foreign affairs, business and NGOs.
- Our rich Southeast Asia library resources draw students and scholars from around the world.
With Southeast Asian countries positioning themselves as key regional and global players, the next 50 years for CSEAS offer exciting opportunities for learning and engagement. With your support for the Center for Southeast Asian Studies through the NIU Foundation, we can build significant new initiatives in the study of this important area of the world. Gifts large and small will support:
Departmental Scholarships for Graduate Students Specializing in Southeast Asia
Departmental Fellowships for Faculty Specializing in Southeast Asia
Southeast Asian Studies Engaged Undergraduate Learning Projects
To make a gift online to the Center for Southeast Asian Studies, go to the Make a Gift Now page on the NIU Foundation website. Under “I’d like my gift designated to,” click on “A specific area,” then click “University Wide Programs,” then “Center for Southeast Asian Studies.”
For other Southeast Asia endowments at NIU, see list below and enter the name and identification number of the fund you would like to support in the “Don’t see it? Type it here” box at the bottom of the “select a fund” column.
Donn V. Hart Memorial Fund (CU97360)
- Supports print and non-print material acquisitions for the Donn V. Hart Southeast Asia Collection at Founders Memorial Library
Nancy and Thomas Roberts Endowment for Southeast Asian Studies Collection (CU97829)
- Provides financial support to augment NIU’s Southeast Asia library holdings and to acquire publications by Southeast Asian immigrants in the U.S. for the collection
May Kyi Win Memorial Endowed Library Fund (EK97957)
- Provides financial support for programs related to the education of Burmese nationals in library disciplines to promote the acquisition and maintenance of scholarly materials sustaining Burmese culture as directed by the Center for Burma Studies
The Clark and Arlene Neher Endowment for Southeast Asian Studies (LI97620)
- Provides academic-year fellowship to support tuition, fees, and research expenses for an NIU graduate student pursuing a degree with special emphasis on Southeast Asian Studies
Thai Teaching and Research Endowment Fund (LI97873)
- Provides financial support for Thai teaching and research initiatives by students and faculty within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at NIU through a generous donation by the Royal Thai Embassy
Cambodian-American Scholarship Fund (LI95109)
- Provides financial support to Cambodian or Cambodian-American students pursuing studies at NIU
You may also make a gift by phone or mail. See the How to Make a Gift page on the Foundation website. For more information about making these or other gifts to CSEAS, call the Center at 815-753-1771 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your support.