Professor and Acting Chair, Mechanical Engineering
M.S, Mechanical and Aerospace Eng., (1980); Ph.D, Mechanical Engineering, (1986), Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
Computational fluid dynamics and heat transfer; Fuel Cell, Solar and other alternative energy systems; Hydrogen storage; Heat and mass transfer in porous media; Micro-Nanoscale fluid flow and heat transfer; and High energy laser material processing.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering College of Department of Mechanical Engineering College of Engineering and Technology, Northern Illinois University (1985-Present)
- Dept. of Industry and Technology, Northern Illinois University (1984-1985)
- Design Engineer in Kuljian Corporation (Consulting Engineers for Nuclear Plant) 1975-77
- Professional Associations and Honors: Member of ASME technical committee on Computational Heat Transfer, Heat Transfer in Electronics Cooling and Energy Systems.
- Session chair and organizer of many ASME conference sessions on micro-nanoscale heat transfer, Electronics cooling; Computational fluid dynamics and Heat Transfer, and Fuel cell.
- Guest Editor for Journal of Electronics Manufacturing.
- Majumdar, P., Computational Methods for Heat and Mass Transfer, Book published by Taylor&Francis/CRC Press, 2005.
- Majumdar, P and R. Boddu, Computational Flow Analysis of Bipolar Plate fro Fuel Cells, ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Accepted for Publication, 2007.
- Majumdar, P and H. Xia, A Green’s Function Model for the Analysis of L Heating of Materials, Journal of Applied Mathematical Modeling, 2006
- Kalisik, T and P. Majumdar, A Thermal conductivity Model for Micro-Nanoscale ata, Transaction on Components Diamond Thin Films Using Dispersion Curve D and Packaging Technologies (In Press), 2007.
- Kalaga, S and P. Majumdar, Developing Flow in Micro-Channel using Continuum 8 Model with Slip Boundary Conditions, Proceedings of the 18th & 7th ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, pp. 2399-2406, 2006 terial
- Wang, H and P. Majumdar, Estimation of Absorbed Surface Heat Flux at Material Surface Subjected to a High Energy Laser Beam Using Inverse Technique, Proceedings of the 18 National and 7th ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, 993-1000, 2006.
- Kasula Bhavani and Pradip Majumdar, Three-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Melting in an Alloy Irradiated with a High Energy Laser Beam, Proceedings of the IMECE, Paper NO: IMECE2003-43688, pp. 1-8, 2003.
- Majumdar, Pradip and Prasanta Deb, Computational Analysis of Turbulent Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Over an Array of Heated Modules Using Turbulence Models, Journal of Numerical heat Transfer, Vol. 43, No. 7, pp. 669- 692, 2003
- Majumdar, P., Heat and Mass Transfer in Composite Desiccant Pore Structure for Dehumidification, Journal of Solar Energy, Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 1998.
Recent funded research projects includes US DOT Fuel Cell Project, Argonne project on Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis of Turbulent Free Surface Flow; Hamilton Sundstrand project on Two Phase Flow and Heat Transfer in electronics cooling; Elgin-Sweeper project on CFD analysis and development of Centrifugal Pumps; Shimizu-Argonne project on Heat and Mass Transport in Nuclear Containment Structure
Other Significant Projects/Interests
Offered short courses on Electronics Cooling and High Energy Laser Material Processing. Lead organizer of international workshop on Fuel Cell.