Sen M. Kuo
Professor, Electrical Engineering
- BS (1997), National Taiwan Normal University
- M.S. (1983), University of New Mexico
- Ph.D. (1985) in Electrical Engineering, University of New Mexico
Real-time digital signal processing systems and applications, active noise and vibration control, acoustic echo and noise cancellation, speech enhancement, biomedical and healthcare systems and applications.
- Department of Electrical Engineering, NIU (1985-present)
- Texas Instruments (1993, sabbatical leave), and consultant for many industrial companies.
Professional Associations and Honors
- Senior member, IEEE
- Associate Editor, IEEE Trans. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (2006)
- Member of Editorial Board, Research Letters in Signal Processing (2007)
- Guess Editor, EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing (2007/2008)
- Faculty of the Year Award (2001)
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Society Chester Sall Award for the First Place Transactions Paper (1993)
- First Place in EE Times International DSP Design Contest (1991)
- Seven US patents, two books, and three book chapters on active noise control, including Active Noise Control Systems - Algorithms and DSP Implementations (Wiley 1996)
- Four books on real-time digital signal processing systems and applications:
- Embedded Signal Processing with the Micro Signal Architecture (Wiley 2007)
- Real-Time Digital Signal Processing: Implementations and Applications (Wiley 2006)
- Digital Signal Processors: Architectures, Implementations, and Applications (Prentice Hall 2005)
- Real-Time Digital Signal Processing: Implementations, Applications, and Experiments with the TMS320C55x (Wiley 2001)
- Published 70 journal papers including a paper titled “Integrated Automotive Signal Processing and Audio System,” IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 522-532, August 1993, which received IEEE Chester Sall Award for the First Place Transactions Paper in 1993, and smart sensors, “Active Noise Control: A Tutorial Review,” in Proceedings of The IEEE, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 943-973, June 1999.
- Published 149 papers in conference proceedings, including a paper titled “Digital Signal Processing Algorithms and Implementations on Active Noise Control Systems,” which is the Keynote Speech at Active 06, September 2006.
- Many federal and industrial sponsored projects, include National Science Foundation.
- Served as consultant for several companies.
Other Significant Projects/Interests
Smart sensors, digital audio applications, and digital communications.