Assistant Professor, Department of Technology
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, May 1981
- M.S. in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, May 1970
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Osmania University, April 1967
Tribology of Magnetic Media/Head; Micro-Assembly; Ball Bearings Lubricants; Friction and Wear; Diamond Like Carbon Coating Applications; Locomotive Wheel Rail Interaction; Nano Technology Applications.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Technology, NIU (2006-present)
- Department Manager, Exabyte Corporation (1999-2004)
- Research Scientist, 3M/Imation (1987-1999)
- Senior Engineer, Iomega Corp. (1983-1987)
Professional Associations and Honors
- Member of ASME
- Golden Step Award (1989) Product Development at 3M Corp.
- Six Sigma Green Belt (2004)
- Fildes, J.M., Ph.D., Meyers, S.J., ITC, Kilaparti, R., Ph.D, Schlepp, E., Falex Corp., “Improved Ball Crater Micro-Abrasion Test Based on Three Disk Configuration,” Wear, Volumes 274-275, pp. 414-422, January 2012.
- Otieno, Andrew, Jez, George, Kilaparte, Rao, “Experimental Studies on the Finish Machining of Titanium 6Al-4V with Minimum Quantity of Lubrication using Bio-degradable Oil,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Volume 4, pp. 1-10, December 2011.
- Arendas, Andrew, Majumdar, Pradip, Kilaparti, S. Rao, and Schroeder, David, “Experimental Investigation of the Thermal Characteristics of Li-Ion Battery for Use in Hybrid Locomotives,” Presented at International Conference of Railway Engineering (ICRE), Beijing, China, July 2012.
- Kilaparti, S.R. and Burton, R.A., “ The Thermoelastic Patch Contact Problem for Large Peclet Number”, Journal of Lubrication Technology, Jan. 1978, Vol. 100.
- Burton, R.A., Narlikar, V. and Kilaparti, S.R., "Thermoelastic Instability in seal-like Configuration," Wear. May 1973, Vol. 24.
- Burton, R.A., Kilaparti, S.R. and Narlikar, V.,"A limiting Stationary Configuration with Partially Contacting Surfaces," J Wear, May 1973, Vol. 24.
- Kilaparti, S.R., Nagib, M., “Combined Helium and Steam Cycle for Nuclear Power Plants,” ASME Trans., Mechanical Engineering, Aug. 1971, Vol. 93.
- Kilaparti, S.R., “Tape Pack Shift Detection and Re-tensioning Methods and Drive Apparatus Regarding Same,” U. S. Patent No. 5886845, March 23,1999.
US department of transportation funded over $1M for locomotive rail/wheel interaction at Illinois Institute of Technology. SKF funded $2M for experimental research on Elasto-Hydrodynamic Lubrication in Ball Bearings.