Professor, Department of Technology
- Master of Engineering, 1983, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Doctor of Philosophy, 1989, Pennsylvania State University
Application Software Development; Engineering Economics; Manufacturing Processes.
- Department of Technology, NIU, 1990-present
- Technology Commercialization Office, NIU, 1998-1999
- Beijing Aeronautical Manufacturing Research Institute, 1983-1985
- Beijing Motors Company, 1971-1977
Professional Associations and Honors
- Award for Outstanding Success in External Funding of Scholarly Activities, Northern Illinois University, 2001
- Faculty of the Year Award for Research and Scholarly Activities, College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Northern Illinois University, 2000
- Certificate of IP MBA by Licensing Executive Society USA and Canada, 1998
- Faculty of the Year Awards for Teaching, College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Northern Illinois University, 1997 and 1996
- Distinguished Leadership Award for Outstanding Research and Publications in Engineering Technology, American Biographical Institute, 1994.
- Song, X., Balamuralikrishna, R., Pilcher, P., Billman, C., Billlman, P. & Wang, P. (2006). The multidimensional approach in the development and testing of a virtual laboratory for machine tool engineering technology. Computers in Education Journal, American Society of Engineering Education, 16 (4), 106-111.
- Song, X.( 2002). Anthropomorphic Multimedia Theater for Fundamental Engineering Problem Solving. International Journal of Instructional Media, 30, (2), 295-303.
- Song, X. & Balamuralikrishna, R. ( 2001). Technology transfer process and potential curriculum in technology studies, Journal of Technology Studies, 27, (1) 11-16.
- Song, X., Balamuralikrishna, R. Pilcher, P. & Billman, C. (2000). The development of an integrated media on-line training system in aviation maintenance technology. Computers in Education Journal, American Society of Engineering Education, 10 (4), 44-53.
- Song, X. (1997). Computer simulation and virtual reality: Applications and Examples in technology studies. Journal of Technology Studies, 23 (2), 55-58.
- Song, X. (1995). Strain-hardening and thermal softening effects in shear angle prediction: New model development and validation, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 117 (1), 28-32.
- Song, X., Li, H., Glogovsky, R. & Stoia, D. (1994). American industrial management in the 90's: Implications to Chinese reform of industrial management. Journal of Future and Progress Studies, Academy of Future and Progress, (Winter 1994), 15-17.
Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator of eight application software development projects funded by the National Science Foundation, totaling $3M, 1995- present.
Other Significant Projects/Interests
Licensed Professional Engineer in State of Illinois since 1994; Author of proprietary software systems: the Welding Lab on Disk, the Anthropomorphic Multimedia Theater for Fundamental Engineering Problem Solving, Aircraft Circuit Simulation, the Virtual Laboratory for Machine-tools Maintenance and Operations, and the Multimedia Tutorials for the Fundamental Engineering Exam.