Research and Scholarly Interests
Fundamental laws of nature; thermodynamics and heat transfer fundamentals; the second law of thermodynamics and entropy; energy efficiency; conservation and sustainability; fluids-thermal-energy components and systems; nanotechnology and nanofluids.
Current Scholarly and Research Interest: Presentations and Manuscripts in Preparation:
“Reflections on Sadi Carnot's 'Reflections on Motive Power of Fire' and Generalization of the Second law of Thermodynamics”
See more at: www.kostic.niu.edu/Sadi-Carnot-Reflections.html
“Reflections on Caloric Theory, Thermal Energy and Reversible Heat Transfer Concept,”
See more at: www.kostic.niu.edu/Clausius-Mechanical-Theory-of-Heat.html
“Reflections on Thermodynamic Reversible Equivalency, Irreversible Energy Degradation and Exergy Loss including Gouy-Stodola Theorem”
See more at: www.kostic.niu.edu/2ndLaw/index.htm
“Reflections on Entropy and the Second law of Thermodynamics: Meanings and Misconceptions”
See more at: www.kostic.niu.edu/Entropy+Physical+Meaning.htm
“Electromagnetic Nature of Thermal and Mechanical Mass-Energy Transfer Due to Photon Diffusive Re-Emission and Propagation,”
See more at: www.kostic.niu.edu/Nature_of_Thermal_and_Mechanical_Energy_Transfer.htm
“Critical Issues in Nanofluids Research and Application Potentials,”
See more at: www.kostic.niu.edu/DRnanofluids/
· Professor Emeritus, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (2015-present)
· Assistant, Associate and full Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (1988-2014)
· Postdoctoral Fellow, Energy Resources Center, University of Illinois at Chicago (1986-8)
· Chief Researcher, Energy and Thermal Engineering, Center for Research and Development, Copper and Aluminum Rolling Mills Corporation at Sevojno, Yugoslavia (1985-6)
· Research Assistant, Energy Resources Center, University of Illinois at Chicago (1981-4)
· Assistant (tenure-track faculty member), Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia (1978-81/4)
· Researcher, The Vinca Institute for Nuclear Sciences at Vinca-Belgrade, Yugoslavia (1976-8)
· Guest Editor of Entropy journal, Exploring the Second Law of Thermodynamics, Special issues, 2015-6
· Guest Editor of Entropy journal, Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics, Special issues, 2013.
· Editorial Board member of Transactions of AcademEnergo (Труды Академэнерго), www.AcademEnergo.ru, 2013-present.
· Editorial Board member of Entropy journal: www.mdpi.com/journal/entropy/editors, 2013-present.
· Guest Faculty Research Participation Program at Argonne National Laboratory (2004-05)
· Scientist at NIU’s Institute for Nano-Science, Engineering & Technology (InSET, 2004-now)
· Guest Scientist-Sabbatical at Fermilab National Laboratory (Fall 2003)
· NASA Faculty Fellow, Glen Research Center (Summer 2003)
Professional Associations and Honors
· Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Illinois, USA
· Member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1988-present
· Member of the Society of Rheology, a member society of the American Institute of Physics (AIP), 1993-present
· Sited in multiple Marquis Who’s Who publications,
· Invited Keynote/Plenary speaker/lecturer at international conferences and meetings, and at different educational and public institutions
· Member of the Round Table Group, Expert Consortium
· Kostic, M., M. Golubovic, J.R. Hull and S.U.S. Choi, ONE-STEP METHOD FOR THE PRODUCTION OF NANOFLUIDS, ANL invention S-105,821. US Patent Number: US 7,718,033 B1, (PDF), Publication Date 18 May 2010.
· Kostic, M., M. Golubovic, J.R. Hull and S.U.S. Choi, One-Step Method for the Production of Nanofluids, ANL invention S-122,261, U.S. Patent-Divisional Application No.12/729,494 filed by U.S. Department of Energy (Brian John Lally/Katherine Baldwin, Patent Attorney) on 3/23/2010. Additional Claims to the above.
Selected Publications (More available at his website)
· Kostic, M., "The Elusive Nature of Entropy and Its Physical Meaning," Entropy 2014, 16(2), 953-967; DOI: 10.3390/e16020953
· Kostic, M., “Critical Issues in Nanofluids Research and Application Potentials,” Chapter in "Nanofluids: Research, Developments and Applications," (Editor Y. Zhang), Nova Science Publisher, Inc., 2013.
· Kostic, M., "Revisiting The Second Law of Energy Degradation and Entropy Generation: From Sadi Carnot’s Ingenious Reasoning to Holistic Generalization," The Second Law of Thermodynamics: Status and Challenges, Symposium, San Diego, CA, 2011. Published by American Institute of Physics, DOI: 10.1063/1.3665247
· Kostic, M and Simham, K.C., Computerized, Transient Hot-Wire Thermal Conductivity Apparatus for Nanofluids, Proceedings of the 6th WSEAS International Conference on HEAT and MASS TRANSFER (HMT'09), Ningbo, China, January 10-12, 2009. In RECENT ADVANCES in HEAT and MASS TRANSFER (Editor: Lifeng Xi), ISBN: 978-960-474-039-0; ISSN: 1790-5095, p. 71-78, WSEAS Press. 2009. (Best HMT09 Conference Paper)
· Kostic, M., Energy: Global and Historical Background, and Physics of Energy both in Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering (B. L. Capehart, Editor), Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, 2007.
· Kostic, M., "Work, Power, and Energy," In Encyclopedia of Energy (C.J. Cleveland, Editor-in-Chief), Volume 6, pp. 527-538, Elsevier, 2004.
· Kostic, M., “Analysis of Enthalpy Approximation for Compressed Liquid Water,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 128, p.421-426, May 2006.
· J.P. Hartnett and M. Kostic, Heat Transfer to Newtonian and Non-Newtonian Fluids in Rectangular Ducts. Advances in Heat Transfer, Vol. 19, p.247-356, Academic Press, 1989.