Datu Buyung Agusdinata
Assistant Professor, Industrial & Systems Engineering
Faculty Associate, Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability and Energy
- Ph.D. Systems Engineering & Policy Analysis, Delft University of Technology, 2008
- M.S. Aerospace Industrial Engineering, Delft University of Technology, 1999
- B.S. Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Bandung Institute of Technology, 1996
Industrial Ecology, Sustainability of Biofuels, Environmental Impacts of Nanotechnology, Modeling and Simulation, Risk and Uncertainty Analysis, Life Cycle Assessment, Systems Engineering Design Approaches
- Assistant Professor, Northern Illinois University, Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering (2012-Present)
- Associate Research Scientist System-of-Systems Laboratory, College of Engineering, Purdue University (2011-2012)
- System analyst ADSE, a systems engineering consulting company, The Netherlands (2002-2003)
- Research Engineer and junior lecturer, Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, The Netherlands (1999-2002)
- Intern, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, The Netherlands (1998-1999)
Professional Associations and Honors
- The International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Foundation and the James E. Long Memorial Fellowship to advance the state of the art in systems thinking, USA, 2011.
- Travel Grant Award, IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC), USA, 2009.
- The Testing & Launch (IT&L) award by The Transport Research Centre of the Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management in the Netherlands, 2006.
- Cum Laude, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 1999.
- Agusdinata, D.B., Zhao, F., and DeLaurentis, D.A. “Sustainability of Biojet Fuels: A Multi-Actor Life Cycle Assessment Approach," IEEE Potentials, vol. 31(1), pp. 27 – 33, 2012.
- Agusdinata, D.B., Zhao, F., Ileleji, K.E. and DeLaurentis, D.A. “Life Cycle Assessment of Potential Bio-jet Fuel Production in the United States,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 45 (21), pp. 9133–9143, 2011.
- Agusdinata, D.B., Fry, D.N., and DeLaurentis, D.A. “Policies to Deal with Multi-Modal Transport Emissions: A System-of-Systems Approach,” Transportation Planning and Technology, vol. 34 (2), pp.109-123, 2011.
- Agusdinata, D.B. and DeLaurentis, D.A. "Addressing Equity Issues in Multi-Actor Policymaking via a System-of-Systems Approach: A Case Study in Aviation Emissions Reduction," Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, vol. 20 (1), pp. 1-24, 2011.
- van der Pas, J.W.G.M., Walker, W.E., Marchau, V.A.W.J., Van Wee, G.P., and Agusdinata D.B., “Exploratory Multi-Criteria Analysis for Handling Deep Uncertainties,” Journal of Multi-Criteria and Decision Analysis, vol. 17 (1-2), pp. 1-23, 2010.
- Agusdinata, D.B. and Dittmar, L., "Adaptive Policy Design to Reduce Carbon Emissions: A System-of-Systems Perspective,” IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 3(4), 2009.
- Agusdinata, D.B., van der Pas, J.W.G.M., Marchau, V.A.W.J, and Walker,W. E., "Multi-Criteria Analysis for Evaluating the Impacts of Intelligent Speed Adaptation," Journal of Advanced Transportation, vol. 43 (4), pp. 413-454, 2009.
- Agusdinata, D.B. and DeLaurentis, D.A., "Specification of System-of-Systems for Policymaking in the Energy Sector," Integrated Assessment Journal, vol. 8 (2), pp. 1-24, 2008.
- Agusdinata, D.B., Marchau, V.A.W.J, and Walker, W. E., "Adaptive Approach for Implementing Intelligent Speed Adaptation," IET Intelligent Transport Systems, vol. 1 (3), pp. 186-198, 2007.
- Agusdinata, B and de Klein, W. "The Dynamics of Airline Alliances," Journal of Air Transport Management, vol. 8 (4), pp. 201-211, 2002.
- Agusdinata, D.B, Dittmar, L., and DeLaurentis, D., ”Policymaking to Reduce Carbon Emissions: An Application of System-of-Systems Perspective,” in Jamshidi, M (Ed.), "System-of-Systems Engineering: Principles and Applications,” CRC Press -Taylor & Francis LLC, 2009.
- Agusdinata, D.B., and Zhao, F., “Advanced Life Cycle Assessment Modeling,” in Schenck, R., and White, P. (Ed.), "American Center for Life Cycle Assessment" (forthcoming).
Professional/Trade and Scientific Magazine
- Agusdinata, D.B., "Integrating System-of-Systems Principles into Multi-Actor Decision-Making," The International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) INSIGHT, vol. 14 (3), pp. 56-58, 2011.
Principle investigator of a project on a Modeling Framework for Policy Development to Mitigate Drought Impacts in East Africa funded by The Global Policy Research Institute.