E-PRIDE Mentorship Program
Engineering-Placement, Retention, Internship, Diversity, Engagement
The E-Pride Mentorship Program exists at two levels. Freshmen and sophomore students or new transfers will be paired with highly active junior or senior students in good standing. The Chairs of each department will monitor the program and meet with mentors and mentees regularly in order to facilitate the relationships.
Junior and senior students who willingly mentor underclassmen will also be paired with an alumni or corporate mentor. The programs seeks to connect qualified engineering and engineering technology sutduents with our corporate friends to ensure experiential learning opportunities, academic success and career readiness for our students.
Peer to Peer Mentorship
- Freshmen and sophomore students will be paired with highly active juniors, seniors, and graduate students in good academic standing
- Juniors and seniors who particpate as mentors, will be eligible for a corporate mentor
- Freshmen and sophomore students can sign up at any time by filling out this form
- The Associate Deans Office will work together with the Chair of your department to pair you with a mentor
How It Works for the Mentor
- Mentors must attend a mentor traning workshop offered at the begineering of the semester
- Mentors will meet with mentees throughout the semester. The Chair of your department will host social gatherings and touch base with your regularly
- Once you are paired with an underclassmen, you will also be paired with corporate mentor
How It Works for the Mentee
- You will get to know your mentor through social gatherings, work on research, get-togethers hosted by the chair of your department and more
- You should reach out to your mentor with questions about engineering, homework, life at NIU, internships, etc
Upperclassmen to Corporate Mentorship
Junior and Senior Involvement
- Juniors and seniors in good academic standing, who mentor underclassmen, are eligible for pairing
- Face to face meeting must occur at least once a semester
- Mentors should do their best to facilitate the pairting of an internship opportunity for the student
- Speak with your student monthly via phone or email
- Nurture students towards personal growth and workplace preparedness
If you are an alumni or a friend of the college, and you wish to particpate, please email Amanda Carrier and she will connect you with a student. Each mentorship relationship will depend upon the parties involved. The college asks that you adhere to the following guidelines to the best of your ability.