The Asian American Center is a “home away from home” environment for NIU’s Asian American students. Our purpose is to enhance the quality of college life for Asian American students as they reach their academic goals.
In support of the academic mission of Northern Illinois University and the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, the Asian American Center creates an inclusive environment where Asian American students cultivate a strong sense of community at NIU, and where campus and community partners collaborate to raise awareness about the rich cultural heritage of Asian Americans. The Asian American Center provides:
- Student-centered services;
- Student learning opportunities;
- Leadership development;
- Student organizational advisement; and
- Educational/cultural programs.
The following goals have been established to reflect the programs and services offered by the Asian American Center:
- Support university efforts to recruit and retain Asian American students at NIU;
- Provide student-centered programs and services to a diverse Asian American student population;
- Provide programs and services that enhance student learning opportunities through leadership opportunities, student partner/employee positions, and internships;
- Establish an inclusive environment by providing outreach and advisement to Asian American student organizations and by raising awareness of the rich culture, heritage, and various ethnicities of Asian American college students;
- Engage staff in ongoing professional development and service to the field and encourage students’ professional development as well;
- Manage resources through effective management of Asian American Resource Center’s facility, equipment, and human resources;
- Utilize relevant technological resources and services.